As a business owner, are you considering replacing or coating your commercial roof?
To replace or coat it will depend on the current state of your roofing system.
For a place like Fort Worth, sometimes you must replace your roof and apply a coating to make the shelter more durable.
In some instances, just coating is a perfect solution.
The biggest threat to roofs in Fort Worth is the harsh weather, one of them being the hail storms.
According to RMIIA, In 2022, America faced 4,436 hail storms.
Texas alone faced 458 of them.
Fort Worth was one of the cities that was heavily affected and still happens to be.
For this reason, apart from a commercial roof installation process, the coating gives your roof a better chance of battling such harsh weather conditions.
This blog post discusses how a roof coating can benefit a city like Fort Worth.
What is Commercial Roof Coating?
It is a protective barrier applied to the surface of commercial roofs to extend their lifespan and enhance their durability.
In a traditional roofing system, you must completely replace the roof when it gets damaged or deteriorates.
However, roof coating provides a cost-effective and sustainable solution, assuming your roof is built upon solid foundations.
Many different kinds of coating products are currently available in the marketplace.
The most commonly used are acrylic, silicone, polyurethane, asphalt coating, reflective roof coating, and many more.
Benefits of Roof Coating in Fort Worth, Texas
In some cases, the best way to increase a roof’s lifespan is by applying coating.
As stated earlier, ensuring it is built upon a strong foundation is crucial.
Only then a coating job can be helped to extend its lifespan.
If the coating job is done well, the roof can sustain itself for the next five years or more efficiently, depending on the weather.
Unfortunately, climate conditions in Fort Worth can test roofs and their coating very well.
One of the main functions of coating is waterproofing.
Water penetration can lead to structural damage to the building, interior, and its valuable assets.
Roof coating forms a protective membrane against such penetration to ensure the water stays outside.
Also, the coating helps to reduce the need for frequent repair and maintenance related to water damage and leaks.
Minimizing cost and any business operation disruption.
Water infiltration can also affect a business’s insulation and energy efficiency.
If the coating is applied well, it can help to improve the building’s energy efficiency by not letting any moisture-related damage to the roofing material.
In a place like Fort Worth, we witness several types of weather.
Roof coatings are designed to battle against such conditions as rain, wind, hail, and snow.
Some other days, it is an extreme sun with its high UV radiation.
Roof coating is a UV-resistant material that protects the roofing system from the side effects of the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
It can act as a year-round protection if the job is done well.
You must rip off old shingles and materials in a regular roofing job, leading to much waste.
Unfortunately, all this waste gets piled up in landfills without being recycled and causes pollution.
By applying a roof coating, it helps to prevent a lot of these issues.
At the same time, some coating materials are made of low VOC (volatile organic compound) and are also environmentally friendly.
It improves indoor air quality and reduces environmental impact.
A roofing project is an expensive project.
In a place like Fort Worth, it is estimated to cost $7,000 to $10,000 or above.
Based on our experience, coating work can cost from $500 on the lower end to $2000 on the higher end, depending on the roof size and structure.
As a business owner, you want to maximize your investment.
If you have invested in a proper roofing system earlier, a coating will certainly extend longevity and usefulness for many more years.
Also, save your money from investing in a brand-new roof.
Types of Roof Coating
- They are made of water-based chemistries. It means they are straightforward to apply and clean.
- Acrylic roof coatings offer energy-saving benefits. These coatings are known for their reflective properties, meaning they can reflect sunlight away from the building.
- The coating reduces heat absorption, keeping interior spaces more relaxed in summer. It lowers utility costs for businesses by reducing energy consumption for air conditioning systems.
- It can be easily applied to various commercial roofs, including metal, asphalt, concrete, and EPDM roofs.
- Unlike other roof coatings, acrylic does not provide sufficient protection against standing water, which can lead to premature deterioration and leaks in the roof system.
- Acrylic coatings last only a short time due to harsh weather, UV exposure, and foot traffic. Reapplications and upkeep are necessary.
- As the coating ages, the thickness decreases, battling harsh weather conditions. It might not be suitable in a place like Fort Worth.
- Silicone coatings create a seamless and uniform membrane on the roof surface; it prevents water damage and leaks while providing insulation for improved energy efficiency.
- The roof coating is resistant to UV rays and extreme weather conditions. They don’t depreciate in quality due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Silicone coatings are highly reflective and can reflect up to 90% of UV radiation away from the building.
- It is flexible and can withstand temperature changes without cracking, making it perfect for commercial buildings exposed to varying weather conditions in Fort Worth.
- Since they have been formulated with solid substances, they don’t absorb water. It can hold water for a prolonged period. Perfect for a flat roofing system.
- Compared to other roofing materials, silicone coatings can be significantly more expensive, especially when factoring in labor costs for professional installation.
- While silicone coatings are known for their ability to withstand UV radiation and weathering, they may not hold well under foot traffic or heavy objects on the roof.
- Proper surface preparation is essential before applying silicone coating. It includes removing contaminants and ensuring a clean, dry surface. Severe damage or multiple previous layers can make preparation time-consuming and costly.
- They can accumulate dirt quickly, which reduces their UV reflective ability.
- Polyurethane coating forms a protective layer that can withstand extreme weather conditions, including rain, hail, and intense sunlight. It helps extend the roof’s lifespan and reduces the need for costly repairs or replacements.
- The coating prevents water damage by forming a barrier. Commercial roofs need to avoid costly downtime. It helps with insulation and energy savings.
- Polyurethane roof coating protects against thermal stress, preventing cracking and peeling. Its flexibility allows it to expand and contract with temperature changes, providing long-term protection for your roof.
- It is UV-resistant, which means they won’t degrade when exposed to constant sunlight.
- They are based on a single component and are easy to apply since there is no mixing.
- Polyurethane roof coating has limited resistance to foot traffic and heavy objects. Unlike silicone or acrylic coatings, it cannot withstand frequent foot traffic or heavy objects.
- Consider alternative roofing coatings if your business involves hazardous materials or exposure to harsh chemicals. Polyurethane coatings may not provide enough protection against chemical damage.
All these stats are taken from Homeguide.
|Name of the Coating||Material Cost ($)||Total Cost per sq feet ($)|
|Acrylic||0.15 to 0.80||0.50 to 3.00|
|Silicone||0.50 to 1.40||1.50 to 4.50|
|Polyurethane||0.45 to 1.30||1.50 to 4.00|
Roofing Materials We Apply Coating On:
Conclusion: Silicone Is the Best Option for Fort Worth
From our work experience, silicone has been the best coating material for commercial roofs.
Although it can cost more initially, it can be of service for a longer time.
We have been in the roofing business for the past decade. Served over hundreds of homeowners and businesses with quality roofs.